Saturday, August 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Papa!

I'll post more about the latest happenings later. For now, I wanted to take this opportunity to give a shout out to my grandfather.

Papa Carpenter turned 85 today. My mom's dad, both he and Mema turned 85 this year, the same year they celebrated their 60th anniversary. They are incredible examples of faith, service, and hard work.

One of my favorite things about Papa over the years is his sense of humor. As a young child, he used to call me Breezy. I would say, "My name's not Breezy. It's Wendy." He had me going for the longest time thinking he really didn't know my name. Those were fun times growing up.

We used to stay with them in the summer at the river house, and Papa would get up and fix us eggo waffles and bacon. Every morning. He's a huge servant and reminds me a lot of my husband, David.

It's been a tough few weeks recently, as he broke his pelvis the very end of July. He is staying at a rehab facility trying to get better, so keep him in your prayers. He's also battled cancer this past year and has struggled with his energy levels. It's tough to see him not able to bounce around and work in the kitchen. I know its driving him nuts, too. Hopefully he'll be back on his feet soon.

Happy 85th Birthday Papa! We love you!

No comments: