Friday, July 11, 2008

reconnection

Today I met my longtime friend Kati for coffee. Okay, that's a lie. Those of you who know me know that I don't drink coffee. I drank hot tea. (Sorry Jeanette, I confess I got a hot drink in the summer. Can we still be friends?) Anyway, back to the point. Kati and I got together originally to discuss women's ministry stuff, but instead we got sidetracked talking about life. It was great to catch up and reconnect -- and its strange that we have lived in the same town for 10 years now and yet we rarely see each other these days. Gone are the days of sharing an apartment in the nlcf-ghetto, when we were all single and were involved in prank wars. Now are the days of work, responsibility, and family. But that is still no excuse to not make friendships a priority. It was wonderful to reconnect with Kati and I look forward to doing it again soon. I felt a heavy conviction in my spirit as I biked home from the coffee shop that I needed to be faithful in the old friendships in my life just as much as I am to the new ones. As the girl scouts song goes, "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold."

I also had the privilege to reconnect with my friend Kelly. Kelly now lives in Richmond, but is in town for her brother's wedding. While her hubby was out shooting "all the guns" with the men out in Craig Co., she was with the ladies doing nails and last minute details. Having some spare time, she stopped by houseofchinn, and I gladly stopped my house cleaning to catch up. One of my favorite things about Kelly is the fact that you can just pick up where you left off with her. Even though David and I only see her and Kevin several times a year, they are just comfortable friends. (I cannot wait until our trip to France with them & the Schmidts in December!) Kelly always makes me laugh and is just someone that you can discuss life with and feel good afterwards -- a very cathartic friendship.

So yay for a day of reconnection -- some planned, others spontaneous. But in both cases, pure joy. Definitely a day of enjoying the "gold" in my life.

1 comment:

The Roberts said...

Aww. I miss you girls - 511#10:)